What's not covered?

We often get asked if we protect the following rentals. When you purchase a plan with us you may see options for the vehicle types below. If you don’t see them, unfortunately, they aren’t available for your location.

You can select a Vehicle Type on the homepage.

If you have a quote or booking, you can add vehicle types, if available, within your RentalCover Account.

If you have a quote or booking you can add vehicle types, if available, on the RentalCover.com Payment page.

If you purchased our insurance through one of our partners (some of whom specialize in campervans, motorhomes, RVs and off-road 4x4s), their automated systems will ensure you have the right protection for your rental. You can check your coverages and, if available, upgrade to include these vehicle types at any time. Just log in to your RentalCover Account or get a quote.

Your rental needs to be booked with an authorized rental company, car dealership, accident replacement service or loan cars from an authorized mechanic. Depending on your country, RentalCover Protection is available for the following when you get a quote on RentalCover.com. The meaning of each may differ based on your country. To view your wording, click the link in your RentalCover Account or on the quote page.

✓ Cars: “Cars” are the default coverage on RentalCover.com. 
✓ Recreational vehicles (RVs), motorhomes and camper/campervans.
✓ Off-road 4x4s for use on unsealed roads. You do not need to select this if you intend to drive any type of 4x4 on normal sealed roads. If you choose “Off-road 4x4” you must have rented a 4x4.
✓ Campers are covered in selected countries.

When are you not covered?

This is a general summary only and may not apply to your RentalCover Protection. Please login to your RentalCover Account or get a quote to view your plan wording. 

Depending on your country, RentalCover may not cover the following. 
✗ Misfueling. 
✗ Out-of-pocket costs like phone call fees, taxis and accommodation. 
✗ Charges incurred through service providers that aren't authorized by your rental company. 
✗ Loss or damage to accessories/equipment.
✗ Interior damage like spillage or tears. 
✗ Personal property: we don't cover theft or loss of items that you own.
✗ Liability: please read the Rental Guide to better understand how this works in your travel country. 
✗ Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) for drivers: this is usually covered by your travel insurance.
✗ Annual protection: We no longer offer annual protection. You are however still covered if you previously purchased Annual Protection on RentalCover.com and it’s still active.
✗ Personal vehicles or others that aren’t from authorized vehicle rentals as outlined above.
✗ Commercial trucks and other vehicles that are used for commercial purposes such as removal/moving trucks, pantech trucks, commercial delivery vans, courier trucks, trailer trucks, dump trucks, garbage trucks, carriers and refrigerator trucks. Americans renting “Passenger Trucks” for non-commercial use are covered under the default “Car” type, as outlined above.
✗ If your vehicle requires a special license (for instance, if the passenger limit or cargo capacity exceeds the limitations of a standard license) or if it is a commercial van, truck or bus, you will not be covered. 
✗ Vehicles that have trailers, camper trailers or other extensions - with the exception of caravans (see above) - attached to the tow bar.
✗ High-end supercars, high-end sports cars, classic cars and exotic vehicles (including but not limited to, those made by Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Bentley).
✗Certain combinations of country of residence and destination country.
✗ Motorcycles or other bikes.

Get a quote for your next trip

We provide protection for rental cars, including mini-vans, pickup trucks, and sport utility vehicles rented from a rental car agency. Does not cover commercial or offroad use or exotic cars.‡