Forgot your booking reference?

Discount Rental Car Insurance

How does rental excess & CDW work in Africa? What are my options?

The insurance requirements for travel in Africa differ for each country and rental company. The following is a brief overview however we also recommend that you check the terms of your rental agreement and discuss how insurance works in your particular country of travel. Your rental confirmation will indicate if your booking includes CDW. US Residents who have our Collision Damage Coverage plan do not need CDW/LDW nor SCDW/SLDW from the rental companies.

CDW (Collision Damage Waiver)/LDW (Loss Damage Waiver)

In Africa most rental companies will offer Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) (also called LDW/Loss Damage Waiver if it includes theft) to reduce the "excess" you must pay in the event of an accident. CDW and LDW reduce the excess from the full value of the car towards US$2000 (ZAR31000).'s Collision Damage Coverage is a cheap alternative to the CDW and SCDW.

Our Collision Damage Coverage for US Residents performs the same role as CDW, for at least half the cost. If there is damage to the rental vehicle you would pay and them file a claim with AON who would reimburse the costs. For non-US Residents, we recommend that you take out CDW from the rental company.

Super CDW / Super LDW to Reduce the Excess Payable

As with European, Australian and NZ rentals, CDW & LDW in Africa have a high excess that is reducible with SCDW/SLDW. The excess amount is usually in the range of US$1500-$2000 (ZAR27000), which can be waived by purchasing SCDW or SLDW.'s "Zero Excess Rental Cover" is a cheap alternative to Super CDW/Super LDW and covers all types of accidents and damages.

Liability Insurance/Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI) for Injuries to Third Parties

Most car rental bookings for visitors to Africa include SLI (also called Accident Liability Insurance/ALI or LIS). Feel free to email us if you're unsure about what your policy includes. At the time of writing we do not sell Liability Insurance.

Most countries in Africa require drivers to have their own third party liability insurance. This provides coverage to drivers if they are involved in an accident with another vehicle or pedestrian. Importantly, third party insurance is legislated within distinct African regions that include several countries each. A "liability" card (i.d. third party insurance certificate/policy) will insure you for a specific region (i.e. the policy works across borders). The regions are:

  • COMESA (Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa): Commonly called the Yellow Card, it provides coverage to Burundi, Djibouti, Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, however it does not insure you in the country of purchase (i.e. you need to purchase it before you arrive). South Africa is not part of COMESA.
  • CEMAC (Economic and Monetary Community of Central Africa): Commonly called the Pink Card, it provides coverage to Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.
  • ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States): Commonly called the Brown Card, it provides coverage to Benin, Burkina Faso, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo. Cape Verde is the only ECOWAS country who doesn't take part in this scheme.
  • AL (Arab League): Commonly called the Orange Card, it provides coverage to Northern Africa as well as the Middle East - Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Syria, United Arab Emirates and Yemen. Morocco and Tunisia are part of the European Green Card scheme. Comoros and Palestine do not take part in these card agreements.

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) for Injuries to Yourself or Your Passengers

PAI (Personal Accident Insurance) insures you and your passengers for accidental medical costs, emergency care and accidental death during your rental trip. Some companies will sell extra PAI coverage as an optional add-on, and this will provide much better coverage if you or a passenger is injured.

Contact Us

Please check if these questions are relevant or scroll down to contact us:


What are the benefits?
Who is & Who provides the coverage?
What is the Rating of Our Underwriters?
Why use
What have I got and what will I be offered at the rental desk?
Who are’s insurers?
Are additional drivers covered?
Should I just risk it?
What do I pay if there’s an accident?
What vehicles are covered?
What about unsealed roads?
How are coverage days calculated?
Am I insured if I have more than one accident?


When can I expect claims to be settled?
How do I make a claim?
How do I report a claim for "Collision Damage Coverage" (for US Residents)?
My claim has been approved. When will I receive payment?
What are the steps in the claims process?

Claims Info

What is the claim process?

Rental Guide: Destination Asian Countries

What should I do at the rental desk in Asian Countries

Rental Guide: Destination Australia/NZ

How does Excess Reduction & Third Party Insurance work in Australia and New Zealand
What should I do at the rental desk in Australia/NZ?

Rental Guide: Destination Canada

How does rental excess & CDW work in Canada? What are my options?
What should I do at the rental desk in Canada?

Rental Guide: Destination EU/UK

How does rental excess/CDW work in Europe? What are my waiver options?
What should I do at the rental desk in EU/UK?

Rental Guide: Destination Latin American Countries

What should I do at the rental desk in Latin American Countries

Rental Guide: Destination Namibia/Africa

How does rental excess & CDW work in Africa? What are my options?

Rental Guide: Destination United States

What are the insurance options in the USA? How does the US differ from most other countries?
How Does The Free Roadside Assistance Work for USA Policies?
What is Extra Cover for the USA? What do I say at the rental desk?
What should I do at the rental desk in the US?
What should I do at the rental desk if I am traveling abroad with Collision Damage Coverage (for US Residents)?

Rental Guide: Destination Worldwide

What should I do at the rental desk: Introduction

Rental Guide: Insurance products

What is "excess", "CDW", "LDW", "excess reduction", etc? And what is
Is "Third Party" included?
How do "LDW" and "Super CDW" and "Super LDW" differ from simple "CDW"?
What is SLI (Supplementary Liability Insurance)?
What is PAI (Personal Accident Insurance)?
What is Theft Protection?
Why do rental companies charge a large excess when the repair cost is small? What happens if I'm "not at fault"? Will I get my money back? When?

Discount Rental Car Insurance

If your question isn't answered by the above please fill in the below form or give us a call:

Phone Us

Email Us